What Defines You?
One of my informal research projects of late has been to try and determine what people allow to define them. Some of the things I am seeing most often are:
- Success of their children
- Past failures
- Past successes
- Stuff (House, Car, Electronics, etc.)
- What other people are saying about them-or think about them
- How they are doing relative to other people (Keeping up with the Joneses of course)
- Where they went to college or if they went to college
- Serving others
- Having a positive impact on others
- Being comfortable
Interestingly enough, most people would not give me one of the answers listed above if I asked them the question, but their actions and reactions on a daily basis are a more accurate indicator.
If someone watched you over the period of a day or week, what would they say defines you? And more importantly, are you comfortable with the answer?