10 Intentional Choices To Make Every Day
Like brushing your teeth (hopefully), there are certain behaviors that are just hard-wired into our day. Likewise, there are intentional choices we can make each day to help us achieve the results we are most hungry for. Here's my list, and I welcome any additions you might have (or comments on these).
- Get adequate rest. There is simply no substitute for being well-rested.
- Manage your diet.
- Take at least 5 minutes in the morning for reflection and quiet time.
- Force yourself to focus on the bigger picture. Don't let your mind go directly to your first task.
- Plan a reward for yourself for getting a difficult task accomplished that day.
- Do the hard things first. If you don't, they steal precious mental and emotional energy you need to more fully focus on the present moment.
- Make physical contact with someone. As humans, we thrive on a handshake, hug or even a pat on the back. And, yes, it is better to give than receive.
- Exercise-physically and mentally. Both types of muscles need to be stretched and pushed beyond their normal range of motion.
- Do something for someone else. One of my favorite proverbs is, "He who refreshes others will himself be refreshed."
- Laugh. My daughter keeps a folder of funny web pics that she reflects on when she needs a quick laugh. I have a Calvin and Hobbes cartoon collection I can flip through and guarantee myself a chuckle.