To Trust Or Not To Trust
Michael Wolff has a thought-provoking article in the January 7 issue of USA Today. He examines why our trust of so many groups, ranging from corporations to politicians, is lacking or non-existent.
His comments made me think about what factors influence me to trust someone. My list includes:
- Meeting an agreed-upon deadline
- Communicating potential problems with meeting a deadline-BEFORE the deadline arrives
- Being honest
- Taking action on what they say is important to them-and not just talking about it
- Telling me what I need to hear, not what they think I want to hear, in a way that maintains their integrity-and mine
- Taking personal responsibility when things go wrong and offering solutions on what corrective actions will be taken
As I review the list, my mind goes to Gandhi's quote, "Be the change you want to see in the world." I need to get to work on improving these same qualities within myself.
What are the behaviors of others that win your trust?